Friday, February 8, 2013

Me as a runner

I've had four people in the last few weeks ask me questions about my running.  This is so funny because I still don't think of myself as a runner at times.  February 2013 makes exactly one year since I really started running consistently.  And I most definitely am not an expert on the subject.  So this is where you are going to hear tips and advice from someone who really DOES NOT know what they are talking about...ha! 

Running for me has been this crazy formula of something like: time + energy + focus + working out the kinks x 100 = becoming a runner if I'm lucky.  It has been a very difficult process. Nothing about it is easy even if I come across like it is.  It all sounds very positive when I talk about it, but truly, my runs are never easy. In February 2012, we were asked to do the Mannathon 5k that our church sponsors.  I had always wanted to do a 5k and always wanted to "be a runner."  And the fact that Tony was going to do it with me helped motivate me as well.  So I registered us, printed off the couch to 5k training plan, and got to work.  I completed the entire program and haven't looked back since. I ran in three different 5k races in 2012.

Time
This one isn't always easy.  You will have to sacrifice and commit.  What worked for me was to talk to both sets of grandparents about needing their help with the kids on days during the week that I couldn't go run after work while the kids were at preschool.  Most of my runs are about 30 minutes to 1 hour so they never mind taking them for that long even if they are busy.  And Tony has been amazing about my weekend runs...whatever he has going on, he'll make second priority so I can get my run in.    At this point, I'm running on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday.  I try really hard to get my run in on those days no matter what (I'll explain why later).  I normally run outside after work during the week. I do not feel guilty for taking this time for me.  It makes me a better mom when I take care of myself. 

Energy
I've learned a lot about this even from the very beginning.  I remember calling a running friend when I was a few weeks into the couch to 5k program and saying, "my body just won't go...what do I do?"  The first things she asked me about was what I had eaten, if I had been drinking enough fluids, if I was on my period, how many days I had been running without breaks in between, etc. She told me to take two days off and try again.  It worked!  I got right back in the saddle with no problems.  I still have days like that and often times now I can tell from my very first step if it's going to be a good run or a not so good run.  A good run vs. a not so good run for me has everything to do with my food, fluids, and hormones.  I always take a day break in between runs except for my Saturday/Sunday runs.  My body can only handle two days in a row of running which is why I try really hard to stick to my Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday schedule.  On my period week, sometimes I have to take a 3-4 day break before I start back up again. 

Motivation
I have several motivating factors.  Running outside was the difference for me enjoying running and not enjoying it.  I hate when I have to use the "dreadmill" and avoid it at all costs, even in freezing temps.  It sounds so cliche, but the whole wind against my face, pumping my legs, breathing fresh air, checking out the scenery, just feels so good to me. Also, just setting a goal for myself and accomplishing it motivates me.  I have always been very goal driven.  I was never good at sports or anything like that but Tony says my mental toughness is awesome....too bad I didn't have the athletic ability AND the mental toughness!!  Running in the actual races is very motivating because you have something to work toward.  I think when you try a running program without registering for a race to begin with, it is a little easier to skip out on your running days.   Also, the stress relief running provides for me is motivating.  My attitude toward my kids, myself, my job, etc are all better.  And lastly, I want my kids to see that their mommy works hard to achieve her goals and that being healthy is important.  My hope is that one day, they may want to run with me. Trying out different trails, greenways, etc (especially with a good running partner!) has also been a motivating factor.  As my runs increase, I find that certain places don't work for me anymore and I've had to switch it up at times.

Working out the kinks and having a plan
I have to have a plan.  Do this many miles or minutes on this day, this many on this day, etc.  It keeps me focused and on track.  There are so many plans on the internet to help.  Right now, I'm doing a 6.2 mile training program.  On days where I'm running longer distances, I have to really tamper down so that I'm not rushing the run.  Sort of like, "I'm in this for the long haul so just keep going."  Often times, I will pray during a run....regular prayers, short prayers, long prayers, "Lord, help me to just finish this run" prayers.

I've also learned to work out several kinks while running:

- Pace:  I know my pace.  I know when I can and cannot veer from my pace.  You have to really learn your pace.  Don't mess with my pace.  (ahem..Tony Wolford...who tries to make me run at his pace which makes me crash)

- Stride:  I know when a run is working or not based on my stride.  Run tall and get into a rhythm.  Sometimes, my stride is off and I don't get it back.  Sometimes my stride is on from the very beginning.  And sometimes my stride doesn't come until a mile or two in.

- Breathing:  If my stride and pace are off, so is my breathing.  I still haven't learned my breathing for going up hills.  I try to do so many beats in and so many beats out with a few really deep breaths throughout.  The really deep breaths are like my second wind and help me to keep going strong.

- Gear:  my Brooks running shoes are amazing.  I used to have Reebox Realflex running shoes and I thought they were good, but after wearing my Brooks, I will never go back. My Garmin running watch is also something I can't live without.  It keeps track of my distance, pace, heart rate, etc.  Running socks are also a must if you are going to be running farther than a few miles.  They provide a little cushion and keep your feet from slipping in your shoes.  Gloves for cold weather are a must also.  My running shorts that have a zipper are my favorite ones because I can put my key in there.  Pretty soon, I'm going to have to figure out how to carry hydration/snacks but I haven't reached that point yet.

http://runninghaiku.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/20130102-091028.jpg


funny-girl-dog-jogging

1 comment:

Emily said...

Those last two pics crack me up...and you are my running hero...love the post...now could you come run "for" me???