![]() |
| February 2014
|
How is it possible that you are FOUR years old?
Just last night, as I was laying bed trying to go to sleep, I received a text from a friend who finally had her baby after 30 hours of labor. It immediately made me reminisce about the night you were born. I vividly remember the labor pains that came on so quickly, the feeling of my water breaking and the nurse's comment with a sigh, "oooooh, aaaaaand your water broke," the fast 28 minute delivery, and then... you were here.
I remember every detail of your precious face.....the shape of your nose, just like your daddy's, the pout of your lips, the curve of your chin. I even remember the way you felt, all snug and warm in my arms. I felt an immediate bond with you....truly love at first sight.
You have grown up so much this past year. You love your sister, your "Deedee" as you call her, more than anything, even though you get into your sibling fights. She was your first playmate and you are each other's #1 fans now. You feel safer when she is around. One day, those roles will probably reverse. That's something I never had and I am so lucky to see that with both of you.
You played and learned about soccer this year and absolutely loved it. It made us so happy to see you smiling and having fun! Even your "Deedee" enjoyed watching you and taking pictures from the sidelines. You were the best listener in the group! That made us so proud. You are getting ready to play soccer again with Daddy and Josh and we can't wait!
When we took Deedee to dance class some this past year, you always sat quietly and watched her the whole time. Normally, you are so busy, but when she was in class, you loved to watch her. Sometimes, you would ask for my phone so you could take pictures or video of her. It was the sweetest thing!
We had some rough times in your three year old class at preschool this year. There were very few problems in your two year old class. You kept getting in trouble for having emotional outbursts. Mommy and Daddy knew this wasn't like you and we fought for you. We had you moved to the next class and the teachers say you are an angel every day. You love your friends at school! We are seeing big improvements in your academic ability now that you are in a different class. When you turned three, you only knew about 10 letters. Now, you know all of your letters and sounds, but you do occasionally confuse some letters. You know how to count to 20 and you recognize several numbers. You are learning how to spell your name and as long as we spell it for you, you can write the whole thing. We are learning about rhyming words now. For the longest time, you were not interested in singing songs or nursery rhymes, but now you'll chime in for some songs!
You are ALL boy. Your favorite color is orange. Dinosaurs are your favorite toy. You would play outside in 0 degree weather if we would let you. When you tell made up stories, they ALWAYS include a dragon, a sword, or a superhero. You love to eat more than any other kid I know. We have to tell you the kitchen is closed a hundred times a day. You get extremely frustrated when you try something and it is difficult for you. You want to be able to do things like big kids do.
When you are happy and excited about something, your personality SHINES. I could sit and listen to you talk the entire day, which sometimes I think you might actually do. People who aren't around you a lot would't believe me if I told them how much you like to talk and ask questions about random things!
You have always been and still are a super sleeper! You sleep 10-12 hours every night and still take a 2 hour nap each day. One of my favorite things in the world is when you first wake up in the morning. We hear you open your door, then we hear the thumping sound of you coming down the steps, and the first thing you do is find mommy to hold you for a minute. After you get your mommy fix, your first question is ALWAYS, "can I have something to eat and watch a show?"
You are my little superhero. I love you more and more every day. I am so proud of the little boy you are growing into. Happy 4th Birthday!
Your first love,
Mommy

No comments:
Post a Comment