Tuesday, March 4, 2014

26.2 Journey: Reflection #3

Ok, so I've been way too busy to post all my reflections from my Richmond Marathon experience back in November.  I really want it documented though because, well, because it was my first ever marathon!!!  It's a long post!

This reflection is all about the race itself.

About a week before the race, I started getting sick with a horrible chest cold and cough.  I sounded like a barking seal.  I went to the dr. to try to get antibiotics, but they just said it was a chest cold and nothing I could do but rest.  REST?  I HAVE TO RUN A FREAKING MARATHON IN LESS THAN A WEEK!! 

November 15:  Tony and I left for Richmond Friday morning and met up with my running partner, Mary and her husband, Kenny.  We went to the expo, got our race packets, then we took a bus tour of the course.  I felt so giddy!  They would say, "we are coming up to mile 18, 19,...." or wherever and all I could think was, "I've got this!"  From there, we all went and got checked into our hotels before meeting up for a pasta dinner at Maggiano's at Short Pump.  I bought a new running outfit at LuluLemon, then headed back to the hotel to get some much needed rest.  I was still coughing like a barking seal at that point, but felt pretty good otherwise.  The Jones and Dowdys stopped by when they got in and it made me feel so happy and calm to be surrounded by some of my best friends.

November 16:  RACE DAY.   I woke up and prayed and thanked God for this amazing opportunity.  I ate my usual pre-run breakfast - half of a bagel with natural peanut butter and sliced bananas (packed in my bag!).  Got my new outfit on and shoes laced up, hydration belt ready, energy gels packed.  Then, I received the sweetest text ever from my dear Emily, and I teared up for the first time that weekend.  Everything I had worked so hard for was finally here.  Tony was all geared up for his first half marathon and we were both extremely excited for this day to happen!  We got in the car to drive to the race and for some reason, I just lost it....I started crying again...tears of joy and excitement.  I'm pretty sure Tony didn't know what to do with me, but he just kept driving and being sweet.  ha!  I love that I never lost sight of his faith in me to finish this thing.  Throughout the whole process, he was my biggest cheerleader and I thank God for that.  This day would not have happened without Tony by my side, I am positive of that. 

My cough was still pretty rough, but I never had any doubt that I would make it to the finish line.  Tony went off to run his half marathon before me.  I hated that I couldn't see him start and he couldn't see me start, but I knew he would be there at the end.  Around 7:30, Mary and I made our way, along with our Fleet Feet group, to the starting line. 

Once we started moving, we felt amazing.  It was a little chilly, but around mile 3, I threw my cheap jacket and gloves to the side of the road.  Our group chatted and had fun running together through about mile 13.  I was coughing quite a bit and drinking from my belt, as well as drinking at the water stations, to try to get the coughing tickle out of my throat.  We did a speed walk through the water stations, but other than that, ran the whole time. Other runners who we didn't know gave us the nickname "the blue wave" because of our blue shirts. 

At mile 13, Mary and I had to pee, so we stopped, along with our friend, Dave, at the porta potties.  The rest of the group went on without us.  I kept coughing and drinking, and taking Gu every 4-5 miles or so. 

All was well, but then around mile 16, I started feeling nauseous.  At first, I thought it was from all the drainage from my cold, but I later realized it was from drinking way too much on course.  I never drank that much during training, but I kept trying to force the "tickle" out of my throat and the result of drinking too much while running is a sloshy, nauseous tummy.  From that point on, I could not drink or eat anything else.  Mary said my face was green.  From mile 18-25, I stopped a couple of times to gag over a guardrail and Mary stopped to pee a couple of times.  My legs felt good and my mindset was good.  But my stomach was a mess!  I just kept trucking along, one foot in front of the other. 

At mile 25.5 or so, I got a burst of adrenaline, was able to push past my nausea, and finish strong!!  I just have to say that hearing my friends yell and cheer my name near the finish and seeing my husband there took my breath away.  Emily, Kelly, Chris, Josh, and Tony (of course):  You made my day at that marathon.  It meant the absolute world to me to have you there.  You will never know the depth of what I was feeling when I saw you guys as I was coming down that hill.  Thank you!

Mary and I crossed the finish line, had our moment of tear filled hugs, then headed past the finish to get our medals....our precious, hard earned medals!  The first thing I wanted to do was sit and stretch and focus on resting my sloshy stomach.  Tony and my sweet friends made it through the crowd to us and I was so happy to see them all!  Our final time was 4 hours 53 minutes....13 minutes slower than my goal, but I am thrilled with it!  We walked back to the car, headed to the hotel where I took an ice bath, then rested up for a little bit. 

Next on the agenda was an amazing COUPLE'S MASSAGE.  Can I get an amen?  Best decision ever!  I don't think I will ever run a marathon again without getting a massage after.  Between the ice bath, rest, and massage, I was feeling fabulous.  And I was finally ready to eat something!  We went to dinner at Chili's before going back to the hotel to pack up for our drive home on Sunday. 

What an amazing experience.  Even through all the nausea and sickness, I immediately knew I wanted to run another one.  I am running my second marathon this April, one month away!  Praying that I will be not be sick for this one!

After returning from Richmond and not getting any better two weeks after, I went back to the dr and they gave me a dose of antibiotics.  I didn't feel 100% better until the beginning of January! Crazy!

Mary and I at the finish! Thank God for these blankets!

before our races...Tony did awesome in his half marathon! so proud of him!

marathon finisher!

post massage pic...super relaxed faces


before the race!  Starting Line!

1 comment:

Emily said...

I am still so proud of you Amy!!!! You have inspired so many!!! Every time I run (which is not often for clarification purposes) I think of you! You motivate me with your passion to run!!!