Sunday, June 6, 2010

Praying for Patience

So, I know I just wrote a post about how much better Riley was being and how she is growing up and yada, yada, yada. Well, the last couple of days have been very trying.

Maybe it's where she has been sick, maybe it's just another phase, I don't know. Let's hope it is the former and not the latter.

I was trying to give her medicine this morning and she kept spitting it out. I got so frustrated with her that I threw the syringe against the wall (not within her sight, but after I left the room). Tony was going to go play golf, but once he realized how frustrated I was, decided not to go. He also took Riley out with him for a few hours.

It's kind of embarrassing to lose control like that. As a mother, we ALWAYS want to be in control. We want our children to listen and be obedient and always do what they are told when they are told to do it. However, it doesn't always happen that way. I often remind myself of the many times I've listened to my fellow mommies vent about the trying times with their toddlers. Or the time I read on a friend's blog that she had such a bad day, she punched a wall. Today was a "punch the wall" kind of day.

I also reminded myself that Riley has good behavior MORE than she has bad behavior. Tony says to me, "Honey, she is two."

Feeling overwhelmed with some of her defiant ways, I prayed to God for patience. I asked for forgiveness for losing control, patience as a mother, and wisdom and guidance for dealing with my children. I also thanked Him for giving me the extraordinary gift of being a mom to two beautiful and sweet children.

I'm feeling much better now and looking forward to giving Riley a big hug and kiss when she returns from her "outing" with daddy.

Check out Jennifer's blog, where I love to go for good parenting stories and advice! Jenn, I hope you don't mind me sharing, but I love to go to your "parenting" tagged blogs. This weekend, your "burn out" blogs were a big help! ;-)

2 comments:

Bobbie Grant said...

Her blogs are a major source of inspiration for me also. I don't have a single friend with children, so it's very hard to find someone who shares my views. The women I work with that have kids are either a lot older, or aren't Christians. I like to sit down with a cup of coffee and read her blogs like I'm catching up with a good friend over a cup o' joe.

Jennifer Hambrick said...

you are too kind...

thank you for you sweet words.