We had an awesome flight there and back. We went to the Pasta in the Park party at Epcot one evening and got to take our picture with some characters, eat a pasta dinner, and watch the light/fireworks show at Epcot.
Tony's aunt and uncle live in Orlando and have a small guest house in their back yard. It was perfect. His aunt even stocked the fridge and cabinets with food/snack for us. What a sweetheart! We also got to visit with Tony's grandmother which was nice.
We did some outlet shopping one day, then we had a luncheon with the charity we were running for - Lazarex Cancer Foundation.
Saturday morning, we set our alarms for 2:30AM for the race!! We had to be there two hours early for parking and to get in our corral and the race began at 5:30am.
Honestly, I was so excited that I was wide awake! Each corral got a fireworks send off and a countdown by Donald Duck. That was pretty cool! The race was super organized. There were characters everywhere along the course for runners to take their picture with and we even got to run by the castle.
Somewhere around mile 4, I lost Tony. He always runs a few feet behind me and when I turned around at one point, he was gone. There were 30,000 runners so it was a little crazy. Occasionally, I stopped to take pictures and I would wait a minute or two to try to find him but never did. I kept great pace and ended up at 2:11 even with all the picture stops. My guess is that my finish time would have been closer to 2:05ish. My body felt super strong the whole time which is strange since we had to wake up so early.
It was super humid and my shirt and shorts were absolutely soaked. Thankfully, I prepared for the heat and brought my salt sticks with me...ended up taking two of those suckers because it was so hot. It definitely helped. I took one Gu around mile 7 and drank Nuun on course.
After the race, we showered, napped for about an hour, then headed to Magic Kingdom for the day. What a magical experience! We had dinner at the Cheesecake Factory, then headed back in to pack our luggage before the next morning flight.
I can't wait to return for the Dopey Challenge in 1-2 years. It's a 5k on Thursday, 10k on Friday, half on Saturday, and a full marathon on Sunday. oh yeah!!! Who is going with me?
![]() |
| before the race..around 4am |
![]() |
| Donald Duck counted us down |
![]() |
| A fireworks send off for each corral |
![]() |
| 86 degrees!! |
![]() |
| 30,000 runners in Magic Kingdom |
![]() |
| Pasta Party at Epcot |
![]() |
| stretching before the race |
![]() |
| FINISHER MEDALS!! |











No comments:
Post a Comment