Thursday, May 27, 2010

Bappy Free

Remember this post over a year ago about getting rid of Riley's pacifier, which she calls "bappy." Funny...I think that is what Sam called it, too, if I remember correctly.

WELL, we never got rid of it. Actually, somehow we started using it at night as well. She was over a year old...how did that happen? I really have no idea. Maybe she stayed the night with my parents and my mom gave it to her because she didn't know she only used it for naps. However it happened, it happened. Naps AND bedtime.

So, last weekend, I decided we were saying "bye bye" to bappy.

A. I didn't want to take it to the beach with us in June and keep up with it there, B. She is moving to her big girl bed soon, and C. She is 26 months old!

So, here was the plan:

I talked it up with her all week long how we were going to say goodbye to bappy because she is a big girl now. On Thursday night, I put up a piece of construction paper next to the changing table. I gave her a couple of stickers (the girl loves her some stickers!) and let her put them on the "chart." I told her if she slept all night without her bappy she would get more stickers in the morning.

She cried for about 15 minutes the first night. I even went in to her room and sat next to her crib for a few minutes and rubbed her back to calm her down. Other than that, I let her cry it out.

On Friday morning, she woke up and I made a huge deal about it and gave her a few stickers to put on the chart. She was SO EXCITED!! Then we called daddy and mawmaw on the phone and told them and they made a huge deal about it.

At daycare Friday, they gave her a sticker when she got up from nap after sleeping without bappy.

By Friday night, she didn't cry a single tear...layed her down, left the room, and asleep she went. One night was all it took. She was ready to give it up. I'm so glad that it turned out to be an easy task. In some ways, it is sad to see her move on from that stage. But it is also exciting to see what the next stage will bring.


This mommy loves her daughter more than this world!!



No comments: