Monday, January 24, 2011

Recipe Box

I am not a very good cook...not a bad cook, just not a very good cook. However, my cooking skills have improved tremendously throughout the 5 years we have been married. We only eat out about one day per week and cook most nights. I'm always looking for new recipes to try and we both commented recently that I have built up quite a collection! I am in need of a new recipe box!

Soooo, I thought it might be fun (and a little change of pace) to blog this week about some of our favorite recipes here in the Wolford house.

When I go to the grocery store, I plan for about 10 meals for every two weeks. The other four days consist of leftovers, sandwiches, or eating out.

Recipe #1 - Breakfast/Brunch or Breakfast for Dinner
Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
Tony and I sort of created this based on other breakfast casseroles we liked.

2 lbs. hot pork sausage
Frozen Potato Pancakes (like hashbrowns from McDs, enough to cover bottom of 13x9 pan) or you can use regular cubed hashbrowns and mix it with the cooked sausage.
8 Large Eggs
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar (or more if you want to sprinkle some on top)
2 cups milk
1 cup all purpose baking mix
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper

Place frozen potato pancakes along the bottom of a greased 13x9 dish.
Cook sausage in large skillet over medium-high heat until sausage is no longer pink. Drain. Spoon sausage evenly over the potato pancakes.
Stir together eggs, cheese, and next 4 ingredients. Pour evenly over sausage.
Bake, covered with foil, at 350 for 45 min.. Uncover and bake 10-15 more minutes until done. Serve with desired toppings (picante sauce, sour cream, etc.).

2 comments:

Jennifer Hambrick said...

sounds yummy!

Amy Jo said...

I love to hear other families' recipes! (Wowza did I just do the plural and possessive right?...if not you know what I mean :) )

So keep the recipes coming! This first one sounds delicious!