Well, I've been back to work for a little over a month now. The first two weeks were really difficult but I am starting to get back into the swing of things. Of course, being away from Riley and Braylen never gets easier, but we just keep pressing on!
This year, I am at two schools and I am coaching teachers 100% of the time in grades K-5. Last year I spent 50% coaching and 50% working with students at only one school, in grades K-2. I am extremely busy (don't eat lunch some days!) but I am really enjoying it.
Both schools are SO different as far as their methods of teaching reading and it has been challenging to "coach" them in the most effective ways of teaching reading that also aligns with our county expectations.
I have started the work of creating a leveled book room at one school. The other already has a leveled book room. Also, at the one school, they are just beginning to read leveled books with their students so it is a slow process getting to each of the grade levels to help them. No offense to anyone out there, but they are used to using the basal all week, worksheets all week, and a multiple choice test on friday, etc. Our county has the expectation that all teachers will implement guided reading. Interestingly (is that a word?) enough, this school also has some of the highest SOL scores in the county. I have been telling them that changing their reading program will just be the icing on the cake and the kids will have more fun doing it!
I am excited to say that I have 2nd grade fully implementing a guided reading program and they are doing awesome! I helped them schedule their literacy block, figure out their centers, what their rotation chart could look like, made lesson templates, helped them plan and gather materials, helped them group their students by looking at the data, went to their rooms and modeled the literacy block for them for an entire week while they observed and co-taught with me. It was so much fun!! I don't mean to boast but it is really exciting to see change happening and the students are enjoying it.
I am now working with 1st grade and they are ready to get going. After that, I've got 4th grade waiting in line. Here are just a few recent pics:
 |
| book room in progress |
|
 |
| 2nd grade is checking out books.....that's a good sign!!! |
 |
| 2nd grade class - teacher read a picture book aloud Down the Road, and focused on making predictions before they broke up into reading groups to do guided reading with leveled books |
 |
| Not a worksheet!!! |
 |
| Guided Reading rotation chart in a 2nd grade classroom |
 |
| Representing Michigan at work...haha |
 |
| Random....but my boy thinks using the self timer on the camera is so funny so we had to take our picture |
No comments:
Post a Comment