Monday, September 19, 2011

Michigan Monday - GUEST BLOGGER.....TONY!!!

So, ladies, I was able to talk Tony into guest blogging about Michigan....go figure!  Be sure to let him know how well he did!  :-)


Under the Lights


Built in 1927, Michigan Stadium originally sat 72,000 fans.  Over the years many changes and upgrades adorned the famed "Big House".  From the first stadium to feature an electronic scoreboard to the first to hold over 100,000 people, Michigan Stadium was a forerunner in many areas.  One of those areas which it was not though, was the addition of lights.  For almost 100 years, teams brave enough to enter this historic venue, did so under the light of the Michigan Sun.  Though temporary lights have been utilized on occasion for 3:30, overcast games, permanent lights were never really something the traditionalist culture surrounding Michigan football thought about.  That all changed on September 10, 2011.  Under the glow of hundreds of artificial candles, a record 114,804 rabid Michigan fans watched their beloved Maize and Blue out last a tough Irish team in what some would call the greatest game in Michigan football history.  Though it took them 84 years to convince themselves playing after 12:30 on Saturday afternoon was a good idea, I'm sure it won't be another 84 before we see the grandest scene in all the land bathed in the glow of an artificial sun again.  GO BLUE!!!!!!!

2 comments:

April and Brad said...

Nice Tony! I'm impressed!! And we even were cheering on Michigan just for YOU! :)

Krista said...

I just have to mention that it is not ALL ladies who read your blog. In fact, I happen to know of one man who reads your blog with the sole purpose being to catch any blogs about Michigan football...that would be my husband. :)