I just feel like sharing a little of my recent thoughts. I recently read the Resolution for Women devotional and I've been thinking a lot lately about how absolutely comfortable I've gotten in my own skin this past year. Maybe some of it is from getting older, but I have a new level of comfort about myself where I know who I am, what I like, what I don't like, and most importantly, I've stopped comparing myself to others... to anyone, but particularly my friends.
One particular chapter talked about accepting our unique-ness and I prayed that God would show me why He made me the way I am and to help me with my pride. And oh my, how my perspective has changed over the last year! Here is what I've learned: Instead of hoping/relying on others to accept me, I need to show acceptance of others and acceptance of myself. It's up to others to do the same, but as long as I'm doing my part, I know my heart is right.
I'm sure I could think of more..but here are some examples of things that maybe I have compared/judged about or felt compared/judged about by someone else and how I or you can choose acceptance instead of comparisons:
I accept your "extroverted-ness" and I also accept my "introverted-ness." I accept the fact that you can do amazing things with a scrapbook and I really could care less about scrapbooking. I accept that being a soccer coaching family works for you, but Tony and I prayed and feel it isn't the right time for that in our lives right now. I accept that you are city people and we are country people. I accept that you would rather go out to a movie and we would rather stay home and rent a movie. I accept that you don't enjoy cooking and I do. I accept that you could care less about hunting and I enjoy it. Or even to a random person I don't even know, I accept your super fit body that you probably worked really hard for and I accept my "run just a couple miles a week" flabby body. I accept that you would rather be in comfy clothes and I'd rather dress up or vice-versa. I accept that you do that cool thing with your kids and I do this cool thing with mine. Or even this craziness...I accept the fact that you want to wear 3 inch heels to church or wherever and I don't. C'mon...you know you've made similar judgments instead of just showing acceptance and not letting yourself get bogged down with caring about these things. If you haven't, at least make me feel better for making them! Ha!
I could go on and on, seriously. But together, we are a package deal, differences and all. I shouldn't compare myself to you and your life and you shouldn't to mine. The important thing is that we fellowship together, celebrate with one another, and are there for each other and accept one another without judging or making comparisons. It's difficult to have a Christ filled heart if you automatically fill yourself with comparisons to others, because He made each and every one of us. You never know whose life you may be impacting just by being you.
If you feel inclined, leave a comment about something maybe you feel you need to accept about yourself or others.
And, read these two articles! -
http://www.proverbs31.org/radio/friends-are-package-deal-2012-05/
http://www.proverbs31.org/devotions/i-gotta-die-2012-04/
1 comment:
I HATE TO COOK!!!! but then you guys knew that!!
What a sweet and thoughtful post Amy! Thanks for sharing! I say lets have a girl's night so we can all discuss! :)
Post a Comment