Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Farm Girl

Beginning this past Fall and ending right after Christmas, we joined a local farm share program.  For 8 weeks, every Tuesday, I would go after work and pick up a box of fresh farm food.  It cost $37 per week and we received all kinds of goodies!  It really cut my grocery bill down a lot and we were eating much healthier foods.

What I liked most was that it really forced me to learn how to cook things I had never even thought about cooking before.....it made me feel like a farm girl! ha!

Each week, our box contained: (all local farm foods)

- a large variety of vegetables (potatoes, spinach, sweet potatoes, kale, parsnips, variety of squash, tomatoes, turnips, carrots, cabbage, etc)
- a few fruits (apples, pears mostly)
- a dozen fresh brown farm eggs each week (awesome!!)
- 1-2 special treats (fresh granola, fresh corn meal, locally made pesto sauce, locally made pasta with homemade sauce, apple butter, honey, variety of jams, fresh farm butter and cheeses, etc)

I thoroughly enjoyed each box!   Tony had a hard time adjusting to all the new vegetables I was trying so I usually ended up cooking him up something canned and he would just try out the farm stuff.  Preferring a canned vegetable over fresh?!  What is wrong with that man?  Bless his heart.

In the past few months I've made parsley root fries, creamed spinach, kale, pesto and pasta recipe, corn meal muffins, homemade biscuits with fresh apple butter and jam, spaghetti squash, butternut squash/black bean burritos, and so, so much more.

I'm looking forward to joining a farm share in the Spring.  You guys should check it out!

This is not my own picture, but looks very similar to what we received each week.

No comments: