Tuesday, January 7, 2014

26.2 mile experience: Reflection #2

 I'm still reflecting mostly on the events leading up to the marathon.  I'm hoping to get into the actual race day in my next reflection.



So, as I said in my first reflection, I ran a full marathon in Richmond on 11/16/13.  It was such an amazing experience that I really can't put it into words.  The best way to describe the experience is that it is SELF DEFINING.  Our local running store has a shirt that says, "Running changes everything."  For me and for most runners, that is so true.  And until you experience the love of running, no matter if you run a 5k or 26.2, it is something that can't be understood. 



From my very first measly 30 second run intervals for my 5k training to my very last .2 of the marathon, every step has been an incredible journey that has shown me exactly who I am and what I am made of.  It has taught me about strength, endurance, mental toughness, communication with others, being part of a team, being humble, acceptance, commitment, leadership, encouragement, good days, bad days, and about achieving goals. 



I still remember the agony of training for my first 5k.  I thought I would never make it to 3.1 miles.  But each week, I started growing and getting better.  A victory, completed all on my own!  And then, reaching my destination, after working so hard for it, and crossing that finish...there is nothing like that feeling. 



It took me a long time to get past that 3 mile hump.  I just couldn't seem to get past it.  I remember the day Tony and I went out for a run together and ran 4 miles.  I was on top of the world after that run.  I could not believe I had ran 4 miles....it was pure joy.



So, then I realized it was mind over matter as far as the 3 mile hump was concerned.  I took off from that point by signing up for 10k training less than one year ago, ran my first 10k race this past May 2013 with an "awesome-to-me pace" of 8:50, and never.looked.back.



Just 6 months after the 10k, I stepped across the starting line of my first full marathon with a group of people I had grown so close to in our 14 weeks of training and with the most amazing husband and friends cheering me on.  My emotions were high from all the excitement, but I felt ready and knew that failing would never be an option. Just as starting the training program required total commitment, so did finishing the program. 

standing in the corral waiting for the race to start - to the left is Monica, our amazing coach

coming down the final hill to the finish line

The fleet feet store owners were at several points along the course taking pics - this was mile 16 I believe. 10 more to go!

Our race bibs!!  My honey was the best!!  Seeing him, along with my best friends, at mile 26 put tears in my eyes!

a training run in September

on a training run, we decided to stop and take a picture with the orchestra

another Saturday training run

this picture cracks me up but I love it!

before a training run early on in the program - 12 miles I believe

stretching it out after a long one

heading out for a 14 mile run with my group










 



No comments: