Friday, March 13, 2009

Happy Birthday, Riley!

sniff, sniff...I can't lie, I did get a little teary eyed this morning. She's grown up so dag'gone fast! What an amazing year it has been! So, to reminisce a little, I thought I'd tell Riley's birth story...

On March 12th, I went to the doctor (4 days past my due date), and was still only 1 cm and about 60% effaced. They did an ultrasound and found that my fluid levels were getting low and the placenta was getting old. So, my wonderful Doc pulled me in to his office and said, "How would you feel about having a baby today?" Of course, I said, "absolutely!"

We got checked in to the hospital around 12 and by the time they hooked me up to the monitors I started having contractions! The plan had been that I would get meds to make me dilate then Pitocin to make me go into labor. However, after just a few hours (while I was waiting to get the dilation meds), I was at 3 cm and starting to HURT! When the doc came in sometime that evening, they announced that I was in labor on my own and that no meds were necessary, but that it would probably take longer than previously expected. Aaahhh, then the epidural around midnight. I hated that thing! All night long, I couldn't sleep for thinking about my legs being numb.

Anyway, to make a long story short....around 12:45 (noon) on the 13th (5 days past my due date), the doc came in, pushed family members out the door and said, "It's time to have a baby!" Tony and I were expecting a team of doctors and nurses to come rushing in, but instead it was just me, Tony, and the nurse. I pushed for an hour and 15 minutes (probably about 5-6 times) and the doc came in at the last minute, took all the credit, and Riley arrived at 1:57p.m. at 7lbs. 2 oz.!

And our lives have been made more beautiful each day since!


1 YEAR....





2 comments:

Jennifer Hambrick said...

Happy Birthday Riley!

Yes, it really does go by sooo fast. You just don't understand that until you have a child! And don't worry...you are not alone on your 1st birthday tears =)

Hope you guys have a special day!

April and Brad said...

Happy Birthday to a BEAUTIFUL little girl!