Thursday, November 18, 2010

Classroom Connection

I like what Emily does on her blog sometimes with showing what she is doing in her classroom. So here is my "classroom connection" blog. ;-)

As a Reading Specialist, I work with small groups of students in K-3. The most important thing that I can do to help struggling readers is to meet them at their reading level. So, once I assess them and find out what reading level they are at, I start pulling books and materials at their level.

A huge part of my job this year was to create a Leveled Book Room at my school. It has been a big task, but an awesome outcome (with lots of help from my teacher friends!). We now have TONS of books, all leveled from A-Z (thanks to an extra $6000 I was given to spend on creating the book room - cha-ching!). I created a check out system where teachers have 5 clothespins with their name on them. When they go to check out a bag of books they leave their clothespin on the book label on the outside of the book bin. When they return their books, they remove their clothespin.

The teachers like this system because they don't have to spend forever writing down all the books they check out AND they can quickly see who has a specific set of books if they are wanting to find a specific title.